1. Create a dataset
Create a Google Spreadsheet in the folder 'SearchableSpreadsheet'.
This is the folder that is created when an Enterprise is synced with GDrive.
In order to set-up the Dynamic Value function for an Enterprise, you'll need a Google Spreadsheet that is connected to that Enterprise.
The structure of the Spreadsheet can be defined as you want. The spreadsheet needs however to be created in the SearchableSpreadSheets Gdrive-folder on the target Enterprise.
Accessing this folder can be done through Admin:
- Select the Enterprise, and click on “linked” under Google Drive.
- This will link you to the correct GDrive location where you can find a SearchableSpreadSheets folder.
- The spreadsheet you want to use needs to be created in that folder
It is possible to create multiple spreadsheets within a specific Enterprise and use multiple Dynamic Value inside the same publication. Do note however that you can only use 1 spreadsheet in 1 publication.
2. Edit your dataset.
Give your sheet a name.
Fill out the requested column names in the first columns. For example "Id, first name, last name, sales manager"
The first row of the spreadsheet will be your column headers. Give your headers meaningful names as these column headers are used to link your dataset to the elements in the powerpoint.
- Note: Gdrive has a limit of 256 columns, and max 400,000 cells (meaning 20,000 rows if you have 20 columns). In case your dataset is larger, you can split the dataset over multiple spreadsheets and create multiple powerpoints or insert multiple dynamic values into same powerpoint.
- Note: one column in the spreadsheet should contain unique values that are not duplicated in more than 1 row. In our example below, this is the column A "Id". If there is no column with unique values in the dataset, simply add a column called "Id" and put in values 1,2,3..... This is the Unique Column that is required for building the database in next step.
3. Create your Dynamic Value Database by syncing your spreadsheet
In order to make the spreadsheet Go to admin.dink.eu and click on your Enterprise. Now you can click on 'Dynamic Value'.
- Update: Here you can update the spreadsheet that you've created.
Choose the right spreadsheet. Define the unique column. (This unique column always has to stay the same column, so when you want to update the file again later, this field will be filled out automatically)
Choose which column you want to update.
- Test Update: If you're not sure about your update, first try a test update. An email with the result of the test will be send to you.
- Reset: Reset the Dynamic Value by selecting the Key Column and click on 'Reset'. The file will be overwritten and saved in the database. An email is send whether the update is succesful or not.
- Download: If you want to download the data collected in your database, click on 'download'. An excelfile with the most recent values of the database will be downloaded.
4. Use the Dynamic Value in a Dink PPT Creation
With the d!nk powerpoint plugin there are two ways to insert Dynamic Value in your publication. Make sure that you have the extended version.
1. Read Session: allows to read values out of a spreadsheet, and also write back in the spreadsheet. Discover more ...
2. Create Session: allows to create entries in a spreadsheet.